SCSN is primarily a membership organisation that brings together representatives from across the community safety sector to achieve a shared vision of safer, healthier and happier communities. We are the strategic voice for community safety in Scotland. We also host Home Safety Scotland (a forum of home safety organisations and professionals).
- Care & Repair in Lanarkshire announced as winners of inaugural Mark McCall Home Safety Fund
- Call to oppose the REUL Bill: Protect Our People!
- Job Opportunity: Safer Homes Officer, SFRS
- Question of the Month February 2023
- Let’s talk about anti-social behaviour…
- Question of the Month January 2023
- Plumbers & Joiners: Police, Mental Health & Vulnerability
- How do you plan your plan?
- SCSN Statement on Gender Recognition Reform (Scotland) Bill
Experiences & Perceptions of Community Safety
In 2020 we published research on ‘Experiences & Perceptions of Community Safety’ in Scotland. We produced this short animation which summarised this research and some of it’s main conclusions – including around how women, LGBTQI people, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people of different ages experience community safety.
Safer Communities Scotland Podcast
- Thinking about Cyber Security – with Kirstie Steele and Mike Smith, Cyber and Fraud Centre
- #FireworkSafety: Gilly Mendes Ferreira, SSPCA
- Keeping the Peace: Mark Nicol, Community Improvement Partnership Lead, Wheatley Group
- Celebrating 25 Years: In Conversation with Shirley McLaren
- Celebrating 25 Years: In Conversation With…Liz Lumsden, RoSPA
- Celebrating 25 Years: In Conversation with…Ian Hanley, former SCSN Chair Person
- Drug Prohibition: Does it really make our communities safer?
- Distant Voices: Professor Fergus McNeill
- Water Safety in Scotland: Carlene McAvoy, RoSPA/Water Safety Scotland
- Community Safety Scotland Podcast Trailer
We’ve been running a number of online webinar events over the past few months and we have been providing write ups of these in the SCSN Learning section of our website, as well as video recordings of these events. You can also check out the Events Section of our website for upcoming community safety related events from partner organisations.
Wider Community Safety Sector Events
Community Safety Media Monitor
The SCSN Media Monitor provides a snapshot of Community Safety related media/press stories.
Some of the stories are not from Scotland, but are included as developments in the rest of the UK and internationally may be relevant to community safety discussions here in Scotland. We will only source articles from media/press sources that correspond with our values as an organisation and that refrain from using stigmatising language or images.
Click on the Media Monitor image opposite to download the most recent edition!
Theme of the Month: Trauma
This month, we’re thinking about trauma – including trauma informed practice and care. On 29th March, we’ll be hosting a screening of the 2021 documentary film ‘The Wisdom of Trauma’, sponsored by the Wheatley Group. Our March newsletter will also be themed on trauma.
SCSN Strategic Plan
This plan is the culmination of many months of work including a staff and board strategy day and a member and stakeholder engagement event.
The member and stakeholder event held in March 2019 saw us invite those who are part of our organisations, as well as our partners, to help us literally draw up our new strategic plan with the help of the fantastic Clare Mills from Listen Think Draw. The final result is a Strategic Plan which is simple, easy to read, co-designed and graphically illustrated.
Find out more about our Strategic Plan, the process of creating it and view it here.
This page features recent case studies from partners in Community Safety across Scotland. These cases studies cover a wide range of community safety issues.
If you have a project or practice that you would like to share, please contact us by emailing email@example.com