SCSN is primarily a membership organisation that brings together representatives from across the community safety sector to achieve a shared vision of safer, healthier and happier communities. We are the strategic voice for community safety in Scotland. We also host Home Safety Scotland (a forum of home safety organisations and professionals).
- Question of the Month January 2023
- Plumbers & Joiners: Police, Mental Health & Vulnerability
- How do you plan your plan?
- SCSN Statement on Gender Recognition Reform (Scotland) Bill
- New Home Safety Fund Launches with Focus on Children’s Safety
- Product Safety: Funding for public awareness campaigns available
- Question of the Month December 2022
- Community Safety Does Christmas Movies!
- We can’t afford to cut back community safety again – here’s why.
Experiences & Perceptions of Community Safety
In 2020 we published research on ‘Experiences & Perceptions of Community Safety’ in Scotland. We produced this short animation which summarised this research and some of it’s main conclusions – including around how women, LGBTQI people, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people of different ages experience community safety.
- #FireworkSafety: Gilly Mendes Ferreira, SSPCA
- Keeping the Peace: Mark Nicol, Community Improvement Partnership Lead, Wheatley Group
- Celebrating 25 Years: In Conversation with Shirley McLaren
- Celebrating 25 Years: In Conversation With…Liz Lumsden, RoSPA
- Celebrating 25 Years: In Conversation with…Ian Hanley, former SCSN Chair Person
- Drug Prohibition: Does it really make our communities safer?
- Distant Voices: Professor Fergus McNeill
- Water Safety in Scotland: Carlene McAvoy, RoSPA/Water Safety Scotland
- Community Safety Scotland Podcast Trailer
We’ve been running a number of online webinar events over the past few months and we have been providing write ups of these in the SCSN Learning section of our website, as well as video recordings of these events. You can also check out the Events Section of our website for upcoming community safety related events from partner organisations.
Community Safety Media Monitor
The SCSN Media Monitor provides a snapshot of Community Safety related media/press stories.
Some of the stories are not from Scotland, but are included as developments in the rest of the UK and internationally may be relevant to community safety discussions here in Scotland. We will only source articles from media/press sources that correspond with our values as an organisation and that refrain from using stigmatising language or images.
Click on the Media Monitor image opposite to download the most recent edition!
Theme of the Month: Hope
It’s the beginning of a new year and new beginnings tend to have us thinking about hopes for our future. Despite it seeming like bad news is everywhere, in January, we’re going to be thinking about hope.
Look out for our ‘Hope’ themed newsletter later this month – and keep an eye on our socials as we share some good news stories. We hope you have a peaceful and happy 2023!
SCSN Strategic Plan
This plan is the culmination of many months of work including a staff and board strategy day and a member and stakeholder engagement event.
The member and stakeholder event held in March 2019 saw us invite those who are part of our organisations, as well as our partners, to help us literally draw up our new strategic plan with the help of the fantastic Clare Mills from Listen Think Draw. The final result is a Strategic Plan which is simple, easy to read, co-designed and graphically illustrated.
Find out more about our Strategic Plan, the process of creating it and view it here.